Mee Bandung is definitely a famous and delicious spicy noodle dish in Malaysia. This delicacy is known for being the perfect meal, especially during the cold weather. There are various versions of Mee Bandung available to suit the local people in different places.
The spicy gravy made from tomato paste and beef broth gives a variety of taste of spicy, sweet, sour and salty! With the perfect combination of beef, prawns and vegetables, no wonder this delicacy is a popular balanced meal. Of course, the ingredients are not limited to beef and prawns. You can also add in fishcakes, fish balls, chicken or squid.
Mee Bandung is typically garnished with fried shallots, chillies, tofu and blanched bean sprouts. The beef slices and prawns also placed on top of Mee Bandung to entice customers. A wedge of lime at the side completes this delicious dish.
Due to its popularity, Mee Bandung paste is now available local markets. This paste makes cooking much easier and faster. However, to make Mee Bandung from scratch is not difficult. Now, let’s make Mee Bandung at home to enjoy with your family and loved ones.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 500g yellow noodle
- 200g prawns (peeled and deveined)
- 200g boiled beef (sliced thinly)
- 2 shallots (sliced thinly)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- ½ inch ginger (minced)
- 3 cups beef broth
- 5 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp chilli paste
- 1 ripe tomato (quartered)
- 4 mustard leaves (cut into 1-inch length)
- 2 eggs (whisked)
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 block tofu ( deep-fried, sliced thinly)
- 200g bean sprouts (blanched)
- 1 green chilli (sliced thinly)
- 2 tbsp crispy fried onions
- ½ lime (cut into wedges)
- Boil the noodle in a pot for 2 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pot under medium heat. Stir fry the shallots, garlic cloves and ginger until fragrant or turns golden.
- Then, put in the boiled beef. Stir them for a minute. Pour the beef broth into the pot.
- Add in tomato sauce, chilli paste, sugar and salt. Adjust the salt accordingly. Bring the broth to boil.
- Once the broth boils, put in prawns, tomato and mustard leaves.
- Reduce the heat and drizzle the eggs into the broth while stirring it. Once the broth slightly thickens, turn off the heat.
- Place the noodles into the bowl and pour gravy over them.
- Garnish the dish with tofu, green chilli, bean sprouts, fried onions and lime.
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using foodpanda! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.