Banh Khot is the Vietnamese style of crispy mini crepes and a popular snack in Vietnam. These light and savoury mini crepes are topped with shrimp and served with a light dipping sauce alongside some Vietnamese herbs. The base of the crepe is made from rice flour, corn starch turmeric powder and coconut milk, and fried until golden-brown on the outside but light fluffy on the inside. Yum!
This Banh Khot recipe is fairly easy to follow, and it will take no more than 30 minutes to make. However, you may need a cast-iron Banh Khot frying pan to achieve that signature circular shape at the bottom.
Try the recipe below and share them with your friends. Here’s what you’ll need.
Banh Khot Recipe
- 200g shrimps (peeled and deveined)
- 100g rice flour
- 50g corn starch
- 10g green onion (finely chopped)
- 225ml warm water
- 7ml coconut milk
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- ¾ cup of warm water
- 5 tbsp cane sugar
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 5 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 red chilli (finely chopped)
- Green lettuce
- Mint leaves
- To make the batter, start by mixing the rice flour and corn starch. Then, add the turmeric powder, sugar and water and mix well.
- Add in the coconut milk and green onions and whisk until the batter becomes smooth. Leave the batter for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the mini pancake pan (or banh hot frying pan) over medium heat and grease each indentation with some vegetable oil.
- Pour the batter into each indentation about two-thirds full. You can gently rotate the pan, so the batter coats the sides. Then, cover with a lid and let it cook for about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add one prawn into each crepe. Cover the lid again and leave it for a few minutes, or until the centre is cooked through and the outer layer of the banh khot becomes crisp and golden. Lay them on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- To make the dipping sauce, start by combining the cane sugar with water. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Then, add in the garlic, chillies, lime juice and fish sauce and mix well.
- Serve the dipping sauce and banh khot with some lettuce, coriander and mint leaves. Enjoy!
OR you can even order them using the foodpanda app! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.