Miso Katsu Ramen is basically Ramen noodles in a Miso based soup topped with fried chicken. Miso Ramen is the original and basic style of Japanese ramen. The culture of eating Ramen is in every Japanese, with millions of Ramen eateries in Japan from street carts to Ramen specialty shops.
The two main components in Ramen are the soup and noodles. There are three types of soup base swhich includes Miso, Shio and Shoyu. The soup is prepared by adding one of the three soup bases into a meat or seafood broth.
As for the noodles, the texture plays an important role. Noodles that are too chewy or too soft will affect the quality of the bowl of ramen. Adding baking soda into the water to boil the noodles will give the noodles an authentic Japanese flavour.
- 2 whole eggs, boiled for 6 minutes, peeled, keep in an ice bath until ready to serve
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 whole egg, whisked
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups of panko
- Canola oil, for frying
- 4 dried ramen
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon of less sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of ponzu sauce
- 2 tablespoons of white miso
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- Micro greens, garnish
- Sambal chili and garlic paste, for garnish
- Black sesame seeds, for garnish
- Prepare the soft boiled eggs by boiling the eggs for 6 minutes and place them in ice for 15 minutes. Peel the egg and set aside to serve later.
- Then flatten the boneless chicken thigh to half its thickness and season it with some salt.
- Dip the chicken in a mixture containing water, eggs, cornstarch and salt. Then coat it fully with panko.
- Heat the pan with canola oil to 350 degrees. Then fry the chicken for 6 minutes each side until it turns golden brown and drain off the oil.
- Boil the ramen for 3 minutes. Drain the noodles and set aside for later.
- Mix the soy sauce, chicken stock, ponzu sauce in a pot at medium heat until it boils. Reduce heat and continue to let it simmer for 5 minutes then add in miso paste and salt.
- Stir well and add in the ramen noodles that were prepared earlier.
- Place ramen in a bowl and pour over the broth.
- Cut the chicken into slices and put on the ramen soup.
- Slice the prepared soft boiled eggs into half and add into the bowl.
- Finish the ramen with some greens, chilli, sesame and garlic.