Introducing a super simple and super tasty recipe from the streets of Saigon – Bap Xao! Bap Xao (or mixed corn) is a vibrant and popular Vietnamese street food that serves as a delicious snack or as a side dish to a bowl of steamed rice. The sweet corn is normally sautéed with dried shrimp as the sweetness from the corn adds contrast and flavour to the saltiness from the dried shrimp.
Bap Xao has an unbelievably easy recipe to follow, with ingredients you can normally find from your local grocer. What’s more, is that the recipe only takes 5 minutes to cook!
Ingredients (4 servings):
- ¼ cup of dried shrimp
- 2 ears of sweet corn
- 4 green onion stalks
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Olive oil
- In a bowl, soak the dried shrimp with room temperature water for about 20 minutes, or until the dried shrimps are soft to the touch.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the green onions and separate the white part from the green part.
- Separate the corn kernels from the cob and place them in a bowl. Discard the cob.
- Once the dried shrimps have softened, roughly chop them into smaller pieces. As an alternative, you can also lightly pound them using a pestle and mortar.
- In a skillet, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add the dried shrimp and sauté for 1 – 2 minutes, or until the shrimps are cooked through.
- Add the fish sauce and sauté for another 1 minute. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter as melted, add the white part of the green onion and cook until fragrant.
- Add the corn kernels, salt and black pepper and sauté until the corn kernels are fully cooked.
- Add the dried shrimp back into the skillet along with the green part of the green onion. Stir-fry for until all the flavours are combined. Adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Transfer to a serving plate and serve on the side of steamed rice. Enjoy!
Recipe Mix Corn – Bap Xao
There you have it – a simple recipe to enjoy from the comfort of your own home! For more delicious Vietnamese side dishes to go with your rice, check out our recipes for Vietnamese Pork Sausage (Doi) and Vietnamese Ham Salad.
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using foodpanda! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.