Image Credit: Sakthi Krish
This recipe for Moonlight Kuey Teow is a dish that is almost similar to Char Kuey Teow. The most prominent difference is the egg yolk that is added onto the moonlight kuey teow, thus giving it the name “moonlight”. The egg yolk is to be stirred together with the fresh stir-fried kuay teow, giving it a thick and creamy
texture that is smooth to be eaten.
Preparing this dish is rather easy and quick, where ingredients can be gathered within minutes. What’s difficult is the frying process, where high heat is required to give the kuey teow enough “wok hei”. If you’re up for a challenge, make your own Moonlight Kuey Teow by following the steps below!
Ingredients (3 Servings):
- 100 g stir fried beef slices
- 50 g prawns
- 50 g scallops
- 2 red onions shredded
- 420 g kuey teow
- 150 g bean sprouts (trimmed)
- 3 stalks of spring onion (chopped into sections)
- 1 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp water
- dash of sesame oil
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp of dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp of fish sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- Mix beef slices with the marinade for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium heat and pan fry the beef and seafood on both side until they are 70-80% cooked.
- Heat some oil in the wok. Add the minced garlic and onions and stir fried until fragrant. Add the bean sprouts and cook till soft. Push the bean sprouts to the sides of the pan.
- Carefully separate the kuey teow and preheat them in a microwave for approximately 3 minutes.
- Increase the heat for the wok to high and toss in the kuey teow and stir fry gently until they are heated up. Add the seasonings and taste. Add more light soy sauce if desired and more dark soy sauce if you prefer a darker colour for the kuey teow.
- Toss back the beef, seafood, onion and bean sprouts. Add spring onion and mix. Serve with a whole egg on top. Mix the egg well with the hot kuey teow before eating.
This recipe for Moonlight Kuey Teow will feed a family! If you liked this noodle dish, be sure to check out other recipes on the foodpanda magazine!
If you find it a hassle to prepare you own, you can always order via foodpanda and have it delivered to your doorstep in no time.