A Malaysian favourite that never disappoints – Murtabak. Typically served in mamak stalls, murtabak is a type of flatbread loaded with delicious meat, egg and onion fillings. Thick, juicy, savoury and crispy, this delicacy is best served hot with a bowl of curry on the side.
Murtabak goes well with meats like beef, chicken, lamb or even sardines. Although making murtabak may take some time to prepare, the end result is very worth it!
- 500g minced beef
- ½ yellow onion
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 4 cups of bread flour
- 1 ¼ cups of water
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp condensed milk
- 40g unsalted butter
- Vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- Filling: Heat some vegetable oil on a pan on medium heat. Add in the meat, salt and pepper and break up the meat with a spatula. Cook until the meat is fully cooked and then add in the cayenne and cumin powder. Stir the meat and cook for another minute.
- Bread: In a stand mixer, add in the milk, water, egg and butter and stir to combine. Then add in the flour in batches and mix until the ingredients are fully combined.
- Transfer onto a flat surface and knead for 7 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Put the dough in a bowl and cover to let it rest for about 10 minutes. then, take it out and knead for another 5 minutes.
- Form the dough into a log and cut into 10 equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball and coat with unsalted butter. Place them into a buttered container and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Prepare the murtabak: Place 1 ball of dough on a flat surface and flatten with your hands. Continue to press and stretch the dough until it reaches a thin layer (you can even hold one edge of the dough and pull the opposite end to stretch it).
- Break an egg in the centre of the dough. Break the yolk and add the chopped onions and the cooked meat. Fold the edges of the dough inwards, making a square (make sure the filling is fully covered. Repeat step 5 and 6 with the rest of the balls.
- Heat some butter on a pan on medium heat. Place the murtabak and cook until the top and bottom are crisp.
- Serve the murtabak with some curry. Enjoy!
Planning to eat some mamak food with your friends? Check out our recommended mamak stalls in Klang Valley by clicking here!
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using the foodpanda app! Just a few clicks and well-prepped food will be right at your doorstep.