Image Credit: The Star
The Namako Yasai is a Japanese delicacy that mainly features the sea cucumber as one of the main ingredients to this meal. The dish is generally served as a main dish, and it is best paired with green tea. The comforting dish is best eaten when it is hot, which makes it perfect for when the days are colder.
Vegetables play a vital role in the dish, adding some nutritional value to the plate. The dish is also seasoned adequately so you can expect the flavours to be delectable and tasty. The time taken to make the dish is about an hour and the recipe is simple for any beginners to follow.
Are you interested in trying out the Namako Yasai dish? Check out the recipe below for a hearty meal that can be made in the comforts of your own home.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 300g of Pre-Soaked Sea Cucumber (Thick Slices)
- 10 Pieces of Dried Mushrooms
- 10 Pieces of Dried Oysters
- 5 Pieces of Ginger (Sliced)
- 2 Pieces of Dried Scallops
- 2 PIeces of Spring Onion (Stalks)
- 3g of Black Moss
- 800 mL of Chicken Stock
- Thickening (1 tbsp Potato Flour + 1 tbsp of Water)
- 2 tbsp of Oyster Sauce
- 1 tsp of Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp of Light Soy Sauce
- ½ tsp of Chicken Stock Granules
- 1 tbsp Shao Xing Wine
- ¼ tsp of Pepper
- Sugar, to taste
- Prepare the dish by first pouring the oil into a pan to be heated and then fry the ginger. Once it has been cooked, add the mushrooms and then stir-fry the mushrooms.
- Proceed to add some dried oysters, dried scallops and sea cucumber into the mixture. Let it fry for about a minute and then combine all of the seasonings into the batter.
- Proceed to add some chicken stock into the mix and then turn up the dial to bring to a boil. Allow the mixture to boil for a while.
- Then, turn down the dial to reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer. Leave it to simmer for about 45 minutes. Ensure that the sea cucumber is softened from the boiling
- Proceed to add black moss and spring onions and then simmer for another 3 minutes. Add the thickening by pouring the potato flour mixture into the pan. Once it has been cooked, serve the dish hot in a bowl to be eaten.