Napolitan spaghetti might sound like an Italian dish. However, it is Japanese-style pasta. The spaghetti pan-fried with ketchup, onion and bell pepper.
Napolitan spaghetti is very popular in Japan. It is widely available in cafes, and even school serve this type of meal for the children. There is also instant Napolitan spaghetti available in markets.
This dish originated from Yokohama, Japan. In the 1950s, the hotel chef created this recipe as he was inspired by the military ration of American soldiers. It contained spaghetti and tomato sauce dish. As tomato sauce is expensive at that time, he replaced it with the ketchup.
The flavour is kid-friendly and very suitable for young children. It is an easy meal to prepare and ideal for a family with young children. The addition of milk and cheese makes this dish creamy and rich.Sausage usually used in this dish, but you can always substitute it with chickens. If you want seafood pasta, just replaced it with shrimps. It is quite a versatile dish and you can hardly mess it up.
If you want some spiciness with the food, you can add Tabasco sauce or chilli flakes. This will gives a spicy kick that will make the dish more delicious.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 200g spaghetti
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- ½ large onion (thinly sliced)
- 6 sausages (sliced)
- 1 bell pepper (sliced)
- 4 mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- Salt to taste
- A dash of ground black pepper
- Prepare the spaghetti noodles by boiling a pot of salted water. Cook the pasta for 30 minutes until tender or follow the package instructions. Once the pasta tender, drain the pasta and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan under medium heat. Stir-fry the minced garlic for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Then, add the onions and stir-fry for another 2 minutes.
- Next, add the sausages and cook it for 2 minutes. Add in bell peppers and mushroom. Continue to stir-fry for 3 minutes or until everything is tender.
- Add in the ketchup, Worchestershire sauce, water, and sugar. Adjust the amount of salt and pepper according to your preference.
- Add the boiled pasta into the pan and mix them well.
- Lastly, add the milk and Parmesan cheese. Mix them thoroughly.
- Serve immediately and sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese on top. Enjoy!