Recipe: Nasi Impit
Nasi Impit literally means compressed rice. This dish is a traditional dish that is mostly served in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. It is made up of cooked rice which is compressed in a container to a height of around 2.5cm.
Usually, people serve this dish along with a plate of satay (grilled skewered meat) dipped in peanut sauce. Other than that, they are also served with Gado-Gado, Soto Ayam, Satay, Sayur Lodeh and many more.
So, if you’re looking to spice up your lunches or dinners, why not make some Nasi Impit to pair along with all your side dishes? It’s easy to make, and delicious to eat! It’s a win-win situation for everybody.
Also, please take note that Nasi Impit should be made several hours in advance, or be kept overnight because it needs time to cool.
- 2 cups of rice
- 4¼ cups water
- 3 pandan leaves (knotted)
- Pinch of salt
How To Make Nasi Impit:
- Rinse rice thoroughly.
- Add all the ingredients into a pot. Bring to the boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low.
- Cook on low until rice is almost cooked with some liquid remaining on top.
- Remove the pandan leaves, then mash the rice with a potato masher.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and allow to cook until it is completely cooked.
- Cover with a lid once the rice is cooked, then set aside to cool slightly for 10 mins.
- Line a baking dish with cling wrap. Press the rice into the baking dish, then allow to cool at room temperature or in the fridge fully.
- Cut the rice into cubes using a greased knife.
Your Nasi Impit is ready to be served!
If you enjoyed this recipe, you might also like our recipe on another great nasi dish- Nasi Bojari.
But, if you’re not really in the mood to cook, you can always order food from foodpanda instead. The foodpanda app offers an extensive range of cuisines for you to choose from and delivers everything straight to your doorstep!
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.