Nasi Kandar is a mamak style mixed rice where a plate of rice is topped with various types of meat and vegetables of your choice with plenty of curry sauces. It is popular in Malaysia as one can enjoy different types of dishes each in a small portion in just a single meal. The choices of sides for Nasi Kandar are usually many in restaurants or mamak. But we recommend to follow the recipe below for a proper Nasi Kandar experience.
- 1/2 chicken (cut into 8)
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tomatoes (cut into 4)
- 1 pandan leaf (quartered)
- 3 string curry leaves
- 2 string coriander leaves (cut into 4)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 anise star
- 5 cardamom
- 2 large onion (sliced thinly)
- 1/2 cup dark soy sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 2 tablespoon palm sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 packets beef curry powder
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 inches of ginger
- Clean the chicken and then coat it with turmeric and salt. Leave aside for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Deep fry the chicken until cooked and golden brown. Remove, drain and leave aside.
- Heat up oil and sauté the sliced onions until brown. Add in pandan leaves, curry leaves, cinnamon, anise star and cardamon. Stir fry until fragrant.
- Add in the curry paste and constantly stir until mixture is well blended.
- Add in water. Simmer for at least 15 minutes.
- Add in thick soy sauce, tomato sauce, sugar, bouillon and salt to taste.
- Let it sit for a while to thicken and add in the fried chicken. Simmer until gravy thickens and finally add in fresh tomato and coriander leaf.
There you have it – a recipe for Nasi Kandar, ready to be served. You can also check out our recipes for Nasi Dagang or Naan. However, ff you find the preparation too troublesome, don’t forget you can always order a well-prepped meal from foodpanda!