Image Credit: Nasi Kukus Farisha Original Recipe
Nasi Kukus translates to steamed rice, which sounds really simple, right? All you do is place your rice in a steamer, and you’re good to go! Well, you’re wrong.
Cooking Nasi Kukus requires a technique of steaming and soaking your rice in intervals. Usually, nasi kukus is cooked and served alongside Ayam Berempah (Malay fried chicken). But you can have it with anything you’d like!
Today, we have listed a delicious recipe, showing you how to make nasi kukus with ikan bakar. Enjoy!
- 4 cups of rice
- 3 cups of water
- 2 sheets of pandan leaf tied
- 3 yellowtail scad fish (ikan selar)
- Cooking oil
- Banana leaf
- 5 bird’s eye chillies (cili padi)
- 1 stick of lemongrass
- 2 cloves of red onion
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of salt
- Wash and rinse the rice under tap water before leaving it to soak in water.
- Meanwhile, pour the water into a steamer and leave it to boil.
- Once boiling, place the pandan leaves inside the steamer. This is to enhance the flavours of your rice when steaming.
- Now, place your rice in the steamer and leave it to cook for 25 minutes, or until the rice is cooked halfway.
- Take the rice out and soak it in water until it absorbs all the water.
- Place it back into the steamer and let it steam for about 10-15 more minutes. Remove the rice and soak it in three cups of water until it’s all absorbed.
- Now, place it back into the steamer and leave it to steam for a final 15 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked. Your nasi kukus is done!
- Follow our ikan bakar recipe here.
There you have it – a recipe on Nasi Kukus with Ikan Bakar. If you enjoyed this recipe, check out our recipes on various other Malay rice dishes! We have recipes on Nasi Dagang, Nasi Bojari, Nasi Kandar and Nasi Impit, among many others.
But if you’re too lazy to cook, you can always just order from foodpanda app instead. The foodpanda app offers a large variety of Korean restaurants for you to order from. Plus, they deliver your meals straight to your doorstep!
So, what’re you waiting for? Order from foodpanda today!