Image Credit: elanakhong
A Nyonya-styled cuisine will never go wrong when making it for a family gathering or your dinner date at home. This recipe for Nyonya Braised Cinnamon Chicken also known as Pong Teh Chicken by the locals is sweet and savoury. It is easy to make Malaysian chicken dish.
The key in this recipe to make a super delicious Nyonya Braised Cinnamon Chicken is by using palm sugar or gula Melaka and not any other sugar. Remember that we need dark smoky flavours in the dish and gula Melaka does the perfect job.
- 2 shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup taucu (brown bean sauce)
- 3 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon powder
- 18 pieces bite-sized chicken
- 4 small boiling potatoes
- 3 cups of water
- Salt to taste
- Pound shallots and garlic into a coarse paste. Then, set aside.
- Heat oil over medium heat, add the shallots and garlic paste and fry about 2 minutes making sure the paste does not burn
- Add taucu, dark soy sauce and palm sugar. Stir until the palm sugar dissolves, and liquid thickens for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken pieces and cut potatoes. Then, add the cinnamon powder and stir well.
- Add 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil
- Once the water starts boiling, reduce and simmer the dish. Stir occasionally for 1 hour to 1 ½ hour.
- Season with salt and soy sauce to taste depending on how sweet your brown bean sauce is.
- Serve over rice.
This recipe for Nyona Braised Cinnamon Chicken is super easy to make; you will not feel exhausted by the time you’re ready for your family gathering. You can pair this dish with some steam fish, otak-otak or sambal prawn, and you’re good to go!
If you are busy to cook for your gathering or a dinner date at home, worry not! Download the foodpanda app now, order your favourite food and drinks and wait for the delivery guy to knock on your door.