Onigiri (Japanese rice balls) is a representation of a perfect snack. This hand-held delicacy has become a staple food for Japanese, and it can be found in most Japanese convenience stores, such as Family Mart. In Malaysia, you can even find onigiri sold at MyNews or 7-Eleven.
If you are not familiar with onigiri, they are rice balls shaped in triangles and wrapped with Nori (seaweed). The flavour from the fillings mixed with seasoned rice, accompanied by the crispiness of the seaweed, creates an abundance of flavour in the mouth.
There are in an infinite number of fillings for onigiri, such as grilled salmon, cod roe and chicken. However, today we’re going to show you how to make our favourite type – Onigiri Tuna Mayo. Not only is it quick and easy to make, but you can easily purchase the ingredients from a Japanese grocery store or most local supermarkets.
Onigiri Tuna Mayo
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 2 rice cooker cups uncooked Japanese sushi rice
- 3 tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp Furikake
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 canned tuna
- 4 pieces Nori (roasted seaweed)
- Sesame seeds
- Start by cooking the 2 cups of rice in a rice cooker.
- Meanwhile, drain the tuna from the can into a bowl. Then, mix the tuna with soy sauce, mirin, mayonnaise and a pinch of salt for flavour.
- Once the rice is cooked, let it cool and add furikake. Fluff the rice until the furikake is evenly spread.
- Wet hands with some water and take about ¾ cup of rice in one hand. Then, press and form a triangular shape.
- Make a hollow in the middle of the rice ball to insert some of the tuna mixture. Close the tuna with more rice.
- Cut some nori sheets into strips and decorate your onigiri as how you see fit! Place them on a plate and sprinkle some sesame seeds for garnish. Enjoy!
Discover more food options and order other snacks or drinks to go with your meal using foodpanda! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.
If you love rice balls, you can also try to prepare this Korean rice ball dish – Jumokbap at home!