Oyakadon is a traditional Japanese dish consisting of chicken sautéed and egg in seasoned broth over rice in a bowl. Oyako means parents and children, like chicken and egg; while don is short for donburi, which means bowl. A whole meal in one bowl, it is a healthy dish as everything is boiled without adding oil. Besides, this dish is also easy and quick to make! Try making your very own Oyakodon with the recipe below!
- 100g Chicken Thighs
- 100g Onions
- 4 Eggs
- 4 stalks Mitsuba
- Parsley (cut into 2cm pieces)
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 300g Steamed Rice
- 4 tsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Mirin
- 4 tbsp Dashi Stock
- ¼ tsp Sugar
- Combine the soy sauce, mirin, dashi stock and sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Cut chicken into thin slices. Add chicken slices to the broth.
- Lightly beat the eggs. Avoid overmixing to create a soft and silky texture.
- Separate every two layers of the onion. Then, cut them into 1cm slices.
- Add onion to the chicken. Heat the pan on medium heat. And cover with a lid.
- When the meat begins to turn white, flip it over.
- When the chicken is almost cooked, add the mitsuba parsley. Then, distribute the beaten egg.
- Place the ingredients onto a bowl of hot steamed rice. Make a shallow hole in the centre. And place the fresh egg yolk into it.
If you want to save the hassle of preparing your own dish, you can’t always order from foodpanda and have your meal delivered to your doorstep.