Pattaya Fried Rice is a Southeast Asian fried rice dish covered by a thin layer of fried egg on top.
Although most people believe the name “Pattaya” refers to a beach resort in Thailand, this dish is more popular in Malaysia than in Thailand itself.
Although this dish sounds similar to omelette fried rice, it’s actually quite different. People usually cook the fried rice with tomato sauce, chicken, added with mixed vegetables such as carrots, capsicums and others. This increases the flavour of the dish while also making it more colourful and appealing.
Besides that, Pattaya fried rice is also often eaten with slices of cucumber and keropok on the side. This enhances the complexity of the dish to make it more attractive.
- 2 cups of rice (preferably cold and overnight rice)
- 100 g of boneless chicken breast cut into small pieces
- 100 g of shrimp peeled
- 1 carrot cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoons of salt for seasoning of chicken breast
- 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- 2 thinly sliced shallots
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon of salt for fried rice
- 2 beaten well eggs
- 1 teaspoon of ground white pepper for fried rice
- ¼ teaspoons of salt for seasoning of omelette
- ¼ teaspoon of ground white pepper for the omelette
- 1 teaspoon of cornflour
- 1 teaspoon of water
- Thinly slice the shallots and mince the garlic. Then, cut the chicken breast and carrots into small cubes. Peel fresh shrimps.
- Slice a few pieces of tomato, cucumber and chilli as garnishing.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in the wok with the highest heat. Swirl the oil to coat the bottom of the wok constantly, and heat until smoke comes out of the wok.
- Add in mixed garlic and sliced shallots to stir fry until fragrant and light brown.
- Add in the chicken and carrot cubes. Continue frying until the carrot is soft and the meat is just cooked.
- Add in ketchup, fish sauce and salt for additional taste.
- Put in the shrimp and stir-fry until it turns pink.
- Add in the rice and stir fry until all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Set aside the fried rice and whisk 2 eggs in a bowl.
- Add seasonings and cornstarch and beat until it is well mixed.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a nonstick frying pan on medium heat.
- Pour the eggs and swirl the pan to make the omelette as thin as possible — Cook for 20 seconds.
- When the omelette is almost cooked, place the fried rice in the centre.
- Fold the 4 edges of omelette to wrap the rice.
- Use a flat serving plate over the pan and carefully flip it over.
- Serve the Pattaya fried rice by topping it with garnishing and drizzle some tomato or chilli sauce over the top. Enjoy!
Not in a cooking mood? Why not order some Pattaya fried rice from foodpanda today! The foodpanda app offers a variety of cuisines and delivers it straight to your doorstep.