There are abundant of herring fish in central Vietnam, especially Binh Thuan Province and also at Phu Quoc Island. Thus, various fish dishes can be made by this fish; however, the most popular dish is Herring Salad or Goi Ca Trich. Herring Salad is the speciality of Phu Quoc Island.
Fresh herring fish is filleted, very lightly pickled, and then it was arranged on a thin edible rice paper. It was garnished with fresh vegetables like lettuce, cabbage, and mint leaves before it was rolled up and dipped in a light Nuoc Cham (fish sauce and lime juice).
At some places, grated coconuts are added to give a rich taste. In one bite, there are sweet, acidic, salty and aromatic texture can be experienced. It is usually served as an appetizer before the main course.
Herrings like most of the fish are good for health. It provides high levels of essential Omega-3 fatty acids that are important to lower the risk of cardiovascular disease. Besides that, it is rich in protein, vitamin D, and vitamin B12.
In case of fresh fish is not always within reach, there are pickled herrings that are widely available at stores or supermarkets. Thus, by using herring from a jar or tin, you can easily prepare a delicious light meal.
Ingredients (12 rolls):
- 400g Pickled Herring (6 pieces) – preferably without artificial preservatives
- 200g Cabbage (cut into strips)
- ½ Cucumber (cut into strips)
- Mint Leaves (cut into strips)
- 4 Chillies (cut into strips)
- 12pcs Edible Rice Paper
- 20ml basic fish sauce dipping Nuoc Cham
- 10ml ready-made or homemade satay sauce
- Roasted peanut (chopped)
- Prepare the dipping sauce in the saucepan. Put the fish sauce and stay sauce together, and mix them well until the lumps are dissolved. Satay sauce can be substituted with the peanut butter if the former not available.
- Combine cabbage, mint leaves, cucumber and chillies in a large bowl. Mix them thoroughly.
- Cut the pickled herring into slices and mix the herrings into the vegetables.
- Dip the rice paper sheet one by one in a bowl of warm water and put it on the plate.
- Put the mixture of herring salad on rice paper and roll it up nicely.
- Put the roasted peanut on the dipping sauce as the finishing touch. Enjoy the herring rolls dipped in sauce.