Potato gratin is a delectable and simple dish that is fit to be consumed during any time of the day, whether it be a typical dinner or a holiday meal. The dish consists of thin slices of Yukon Gold potatoes that are baked with milk, cream, garlic, thyme and a couple of cheeses to obtain the golden brown hue. The dish is best served as a side dish.
The total time taken to make the dish is about 1.5 hours, so early preparation is vital to manage your time better. You can do this by immersing the potato slices in cream and milk and then placing it in a zip lock bag. Make sure to remove all of the air out and then to use it when it is needed to make the dish. The dish also has a delectable golden brown hue, and the taste is intoxicatingly creamy and rich in butter. There will be no regrets after eating this dish!
Want to try something creamy and delightful? Check out the potato gratin recipe below for you to try in your humble abode.
Ingredients (8 servings):
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 kg of Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 113 g of grated Gruyere cheese
- 113 g of Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp of salt
- 10 pieces of fresh thyme
- Black pepper
- Start preparing the dish by first preheating the oven to about 200°C.
- Proceed to mix the heavy cream and milk in a large bowl. Carefully slice the potatoes thinly using a knife or mandolin. Then, place the sliced potatoes into the cream milk mixture to ensure that the slices do not turn brown.
- Carry on with adding the Gruyere and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses, with garlic into the large bowl. Pluck the leaves from the thyme sprigs and then add it into the bowl. Season the mixture with salt and a pinch of black pepper. Ensure that the ingredients are thoroughly mixed by tossing it well.
- Pour the sliced potatoes and cream into a baking dish and then cover the baking dish with aluminium foil tightly.
- Put the baking dish on a sheet pan and leave it to bake in the oven for about 1 hour. After that, remove the foil and then bake for about 30 more minutes. The potatoes should look tender, bubbling and has a golden brown colour on the surface. It is ready to be served and enjoyed!
Don’t have the time to cook this potato gratin? Order some food using foodpanda and you can relax and wait for your delivery!