Recipe: Prawn Fried Hor Fun
Prawn Fried Hor Run is one of the many variations of the famous Hong Kong dish, dry-fried beef hor fun. Instead of the chewy beef slices added into the fried hor fun, fresh prawns are used to increase the overall sweetness of the dish. As prawns are juicier, adding it into the fried hor fun will enhance the dish with a better flavour and punch!
In this Hong Kong cuisine, “wok hei” is a keypoint point to bring this dish to the next level. The secret of “wok hei” is to give this dish a charred and caramelised flavour, which can be achieved through cooking the dish at a very high temperature.
Try this delicious Prawn Fried Hor Fun recipe today and serve it as a side dish to some freshly steamed rice! Yum!
- 250 g flat rice noodles (hor fun)
- An adequate amount of thick soy sauce for adding flavour to hor fun
- 1 teaspoon of light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
- ¼ teaspoon of thick soy sauce for seasoning
- ½ teaspoon of chicken stock powder
- a dash ground black pepper
- Salt for seasoning
- Sugar for seasoning
- 400 ml of fresh chicken or pork stock
- sesame oil for frying
- ½ teaspoon of chopped garlic
- 4 medium-large prawns
- 2 stalks of Hong Kong choy sum (mustard greens)
- cornflour (mixed with water for thickening)
- Heat the nonstick wok with some cooking oil over high heat to achieve the “wok hei” effect.
- When the wok is hot enough, add in hor fun and thick soy sauce.
- Stir fry until fragrant and put it aside on a serving plate.
- Mix the seasoning ingredients in a bowl and put it aside.
- Heat the wok again with sesame oil and fry the garlic until aromatic and it becomes golden brownish.
- Add the mixed seasoning ingredients and prawns into the wok and fry for a few minutes.
- Add choy sum and stir fry briefly until it cooks through.
- Adjust the thickness of the sauce by adding in cornflour mixture.
- Then add the sauce over the prepared hor fun.
- Sprinkle some chopped spring onions on the noodles and serve it hot. Enjoy!
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using the foodpanda app! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.