The steaming bowl of porridge to warm your tummy serves as excellent comfort food. It is light, yet fulfilling at the same time. This preserved egg porridge is a breakfast favourite among the Chinese people.
Preserved egg, also known as Century Egg, is made from duck eggs that are preserved in the mixture of clay, ash, salt, quicklime, and rice hull. It takes several months to produce this savoury egg. The egg yolks are usually dark green or grey and have a very creamy texture. For the egg whites, it turns to a translucent dark brown with a jelly texture. These eggs have a robust, savoury flavour that that can be compared to cheese taste. Although it might be stinky at first, however, it has a silky, rich, and delicious aftertaste.
Preserved egg porridge usually contains meat ingredients. It can be either chicken or pork. If you’re looking for a quick and easy fix, chicken is a better alternative. You can add chicken directly into the porridge. On the other hand, if you prefer pork, you will need to cut and marinate first. No matter what ingredient you use, the porridge will still be delicious and savoury.
Enjoy the savoury and creamy porridge the recipe down below.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- ½ cup white rice
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 300g chicken breast
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1-inch ginger (finely minced)
- 2 preserved eggs (chopped)
- 2 green onions (finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Combine the rice and chicken stock in a big pot.
- Cook them under high heat until they start boiling. Then, reduce to low heat and cover the pot. Let it simmer for 30 minutes. You may add some water if required and make sure to stir occasionally.
- Next, add in the chicken breast and cook for another 15 minutes. Once the chicken cooked, remove it and place it onto a plate.
- Keep the heat low once the porridge has reached the desired texture. If you want a thicker porridge, you can keep cooking it for another 15 minutes. Make sure to stir frequently.
- Shred the chicken breast and add it back into the porridge. Then, add in the chopped preserved eggs, green onion, and salt. Adjust the salt according to taste.
- Serve the hot porridge and garnish with fried shallots. Enjoy!
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using the foodpanda app! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.