Have you ever seen pretzels sold in a bakery or a café, and thought to yourself, “It must be challenging to make one of those” while your mouth waters? If truth be told, pretzels are not difficult to make at all! Here’s a beginner-friendly recipe for you to fix your pretzels craving at home.
The Homemade Pretzels Recipe:
Pretzels do make one of the best comfort foods. If you are wondering what snacks to make for your family during the weekends, we would suggest trying our simple recipe for pretzels. Without further ado, let’s start baking!
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 ½ cups of warm water (360 ml)
- 4 ½ cups of flour (565g)
- 1 packet of active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup of baking soda (120g)
- Coarse salt, as needed
- 2 beaten eggs
- Oil, as needed
- In a bowl, mix salt, sugar, and water well. Add yeast into the mixture and let it sit for 5 minutes until the yeast starts to foam.
- Then, put in 2 tablespoons of oil and flour into the mixture. Mix the ingredients thoroughly until they form a dough.
- Remove the dough and set it aside. Then, layer the inner walls of the bowl with some oil. Make sure that its surface is evenly coated with oil before placing the dough back into the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and let the dough sit in a warm environment for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C (450°F).
- After 1 hour, cut the dough into 8 equal parts and roll each piece into a thin rope. Twist both ends of the roll together and fold them downwards, forming the typical pretzel shape.
- Pour warm water and sprinkle baking soda into a large pot. Bring the mixture to a boil before putting in the pretzels one by one. Cook each pretzel for 30 seconds.
- Next, place the cooked pretzels onto a baking sheet. Brush the pretzels with egg wash, and sprinkle them with some coarse salt. Lastly, bake the pretzels for about 10-15 minutes until they turn golden brown.
- When the pretzels cool off to room temperature, they are ready to be served!
There you have it! A simple homemade recipe for pretzels. If you wish to spare yourself from the hassle of baking at home, you can order hot and crispy pretzels via the foodpanda app, and have your cravings delivered right to your doorstep!