Indulge yourself with a bowl of hot and delicious roasted pumpkin soup. This dish contains various aromatic spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper, and cloves. These spices help enhance the flavour to the pumpkin soup and the dish more rich and flavourful.
The roasted pumpkin soup goes great with sandwiches or salads. The creaminess of this soup not only comes from the pumpkin but also the use of coconut milk. If you want less saturated fat in your diet, you can replace the coconut with cashews. Just blend the cashews with the vegetable soup, and you will get a great substitute for coconut.
You can make this soup in large batches, and it can keep for up to four days in the fridge. It can last up to 3 months if you properly store and freeze it. So you can simply reheat the dish and enjoy a bowl of roasted pumpkin soup at any time at any day.
Ingredients (6 servings):
- 2 kg pumpkin
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ¼ cayenne pepper (optional)
- A dash of ground black pepper
- 800ml vegetable broth
- 200ml heavy cream or coconut milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Cut the pumpkin into half and scoop out the seeds. Slice again each pumpkin halves into two. Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil over the pumpkin and place them onto the baking sheet.
- Roast them for about 30 minutes or until you can pierce the pumpkin with the fork. Set aside the pumpkin and let it cool.
- Heat the 3 tbsps of olive oil in the heavy-bottomed pot under medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and salt. Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes. In the meantime, remove the pumpkin skin.
- Once the onion turns brown, add the pumpkin flesh, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, cayenne pepper, and ground black pepper.
- Use a spoon to break up the pumpkin and then pour in the vegetable broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then simmer it under low heat for 15 minutes.
- After that, add in the coconut milk and maple syrup. Mix them well.
- Remove the pot from heat and set it aside to cool slightly. Blend the soup either by using the immersion blender or stand blender, according to your preference.
- Transfer the soup into a large bowl and adjust the seasonings if necessary.
- Serve it into individual bowls and enjoy.
Why not also use your leftover roasted pumpkin and turn it into a salad? Click here for the recipe.
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using the foodpanda app! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.