Image Credit: Cynthia
Roti bom is a compact little fellow. Smaller and thicker than a roti canai, sugar and margarine are layered into it resulting in a sweet, fatty, crispy, doughy round. You’ll be sure to experience an explosion of flavours both sweet (from the near caramelised sugar) and salty (from the margarine). Here’s a simple recipe to make your very own roti bom at home.
For the roti:
- 500g all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Water (ready at hand)
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the layers:
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients for the roti except water. Mix well.
- Then, add water in bit by bit and continuously knead until the dough is tacky.
- Next, divide the dough into palm-sized balls and refrigerate overnight.
- Once ready, use a rolling pin and stretch out the dough to a rectangle and try to make it as thin as possible.
- Then, fold each corner into the centre of the dough and continue folding until the preferred size of roti is achieved. Later, alternate every 3 layers with a thin spread of margarine and sugar.
- Lastly, add oil to a pan on medium-high heat and cook each side of the roti for 4 minutes or until golden brown.
There you have it! Your homemade Recipe: Roti Bom. To ensure prime crispiness on the outside, sprinkle a little water on the pan occasionally to keep the roti moist on the inside. Or, innovate dishes from the ingredients you find in your kitchen.
On the other hand, if you’re too lazy to step into the kitchen, head on over to the foodpanda app and have a booming roti bom delivered to you.