If there’s anything better than roti canai, it’s got to be roti cheese. The familiar flaky bread holding together melted cheese paired with a strong Teh Tarik is the perfect way to start your day. This roti cheese recipe will have you dishing out roti from your kitchen.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup oil
- Cheese slices
- First, you need to dissolve the salt in the water.
- Next, in a bowl, mix the flour and water. Knead the mix until a smooth dough forms. The dough should be tacky, not sticky.
- Oil your hands and break the dough into palm small sized balls.
- In another bowl, pour some oil and line the inner surface of the bowl, Next, place all the dough balls in the bowl.
- Make sure you oil each ball to ensure they don’t stick together. With the leftover oil, pour it into the bowl so that the dough balls are immersed in oil. Let sit overnight.
- Oil your kneading space liberally. Take one dough ball and flatten it to the size of a plate.
- Here comes the fun part, flip the dough a few times until the dough expands in size.
- Place a cheese slice in the middle of the flattened out the dough. Take one edge of the dough and fold it to the centre of the dough (on top of the cheese). Do this three more times to make a square.
- Heat a well-oiled pan over medium-high heat and place your roti cheese on it. Cook until golden brown with a few darker brown spots.
Roti Cheese Recipe
There you have it, your very own roti cheese! If you’re in the mood for roti cheese sans the overnight wait, head on over to the foodpanda app and have your favourite meals delivered to you!
For more delicious recipes, subscribe to foodpanda magazine today!