This recipe for Roti John will give you an insight on what the dish truly is- it’s a Malaysian version of an omelette. These roti’s sell like hot cakes in the bazaar during Ramadhan, and if you’re late to the party, you might not get any.
So, to spare yourself the disappointment- we’ve come up with the tastiest recipe for your favourite snack. It’s so good; you’ll be known as the friend who makes really good Roti John.
Meat Mix Ingredients:
- 2 cups of minced meat (either chicken or beef)
- 2 shallots (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of fennel powder
- In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients for the meat mix with a little water. Make into a smooth paste.
- In a pan over medium heat, sauté the shallots and garlic until slightly golden.
- Add on the curry mix paste. Next, add in the meat and stir until homogenous. Keep stirring until the meat is slightly browned.
- Add water to cover the meat and let simmer until the meat mix thickens.
- Season with salt and remove from heat when the meat is cooked through. Do not let the mix get too dry. This should take about 5 minutes.
- 3 loaves of hotdog buns (sliced in the middle)
- Margarine to spread
- 1 Shallot (finely minced)
- Scallions (finely minced)
- 2 Eggs
- Cheese (optional)
- Sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and cabbage
- Crack the eggs into a bowl. Add four tablespoons of the meat mix, shallots and scallions. Mix until homogenous.
- On a non-stick pan, spread some margarine over the back of the bread and toast till golden brown and crispy. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, add a little margarine and pour in a thin layer of the egg-meat mix.
- Place the buns, toasted side down on the egg mix. Slightly press down to adhere the eggs to the bread.
- Spread more margarine on the top of the buns and flip them about 2 minutes in. Add cheese if you’d like now.
- Serve with sliced vegetables and sauce.
There you have it- a quick recipe to Roti John. If you couldn’t be bothered to follow all these steps, download the foodpanda app and have your favourite snacks delivered to you!
Also, don’t forget to subscribe to foodpanda Magazine so you won’t miss out on our daily updates on food!