Recipe: Roti Planta
Roti Planta similar to Roti Bom is filled with margarine and occasionally kaya (a variation of roti kaya). But it is usually folded into a large square instead of a small “bom”. Although not as famous as its sister rotis, Roti Planta has its fans. In this recipe for roti planta, indulge in a margarine packed delight!
For the roti:
- 500g all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Water (ready at hand)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For the layers:
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar or 1 cup of kaya
- In a large bowl, throw in all the ingredients for the roti except water. Mix well.
- Then, put water in bit by bit and continuously knead until the dough is tacky.
- Next, divide the dough into palm-sized balls and refrigerate overnight.
- Once ready, use a rolling pin and stretch out the dough to a rectangle and try to make it as thin as possible.
- After that, fold each corner into the centre of the dough and continue folding until the preferred size of roti is achieved. Later, alternate every 3 layers with a thin spread of margarine and sugar or kaya.
- Lastly, add oil to a pan on medium-high heat and cook each side of the roti for 4 minutes or until golden brown.
This recipe of Roti Planta is easy and fun to make. To ensure prime crispiness on the outside, sprinkle a little water on the pan occasionally to keep the roti moist on the inside.
Can’t be bothered to step into the kitchen? Download the foodpanda app and have your favourite meals delivered to you!
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.