Recipe: Roti Sardine
This recipe for Roti Sardine will be the most economical meal you’ll have ever made. Using pantry items you’ll most likely have at hand; we promise this dish will be a staple tea-time dish at home. And- it’s a great way to use up that leftover bread you have lying around. No waste, no worries!
- 1 Canned sardine
- 2 bird’s eye chilli, minced (optional)
- One large onion, finely diced
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 Eggs
- 4 slices of bread
- First, in a skillet on medium heat, add the oil and sauté the onion until fragrant. Then, add in the chilli and the canned sardine. While stirring, make sure you press on the fish to break them apart.
- Keep stirring until the sardine dries up. Put in the salt and pepper and remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, take out the bread and place them on a chopping board. Use a rolling pin and press on the bread. You have to flatten the bread to avoid it from absorbing a lot of oil when we fry them later. Be sure not to tear the bread!
- Once the sardine has cooled down, spread the sardine on one half of the bread and fold. Do this for all the slices you have. After folding, crimp down the edges of the bread with a fork to avoid the filling from leaking out.
- Next, make the egg wash. Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl. If you have milk, add a small splash of it to make the egg wash creamier.
- Lastly, dip the bread in the egg wash and deep-fry in a skillet on high heat. Make sure each side is golden-brown before removing from heat. Serve.
This recipe for roti sardine is an easy cheat recipe if you can’t make curry puffs! If you liked this recipe, be sure to make a cooling cup of Thai green tea to pair with your roti.
Hungry but not in the mood to cook? Relax, we got you. Download the foodpanda app and have your meals delivered to you!
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.