Don is a Japanese dish which consists of stir-fried meat such as beef, chicken, fish or pork cutlet and vegetables served on a rice bowl. The name ‘oyakodon’ can be translated into ‘’parent-and-child’ rice bowl. Oyako don is often made with chicken and eggs, which is simple, and the ingredients are easy to find. The main part of the recipe is to make sure that the egg is not overcooked and still slimy.
As for this salmon version features nice flavoured Japanese rice topped with sashimi salmon (or baked salmon) and salmon roe for a delicious and simple seafood version. This one-pot meal is simple to prepare as it comes together in less than 30 minutes and suitable for those that don’t have much time to cook.
Japanese rice bowls are not only available at restaurants on the street but also a favourite to make at home. The rice bowl is said to bring comfort and warmth to the eaters by the Japanese. If you mastered this version of Donburi, you can then move on to learn how to prepare other types of donburi.
- 2 servings of Japanese short-grain rice
- Dashi stock powder
- 2 Shiso leaves (Ooba) (perilla)
- 5 oz of sashimi-grade salmon, skinned and deboned
- 1 cup of sake
- 3-4 tablespoon of Ikura (salmon roe)
- 3 tablespoon of shredded nori seaweed (kizami nori)
- 1 tablespoon of Soy Sauce
- Wash the Japanese short-grain rice with water until the water becomes clear.
- Leave the rice to soak for around 15 minutes and drain the water off.
- Prepare a stock using 260 ml of water and a sachet of dashi stock powder.
- Add the prepared stock to the rice and cook.
- Serve the cooked rice in a bowl and roughly flatten the top of the rice. Let it cool a bit to prevent the heat from cooking the raw salmon.
- Slice the sashimi-grade salmon sashimi to your desired thickness with a sharp knife.
- Stir the ikura in sake to remove the sliminess from the surface and helps remove the fishy smell.
- Place the slices of salmon on the rice nicely and put the shiso leaf and ikura on top of it.
- Garnish the bowl with shredded nori or any toppings that you prefer.
- Prepare soy sauce and wasabi to mix with the dish.
- Enjoy the bowl of rice with amazing flavours.