Let’s jump into this Recipe for Salted Egg Prawns. The salted egg yolk craze has taken over the food industry all across the country, whatever dish you can think of, there will definitely be a salted egg yolk version. Ranging from Western cuisines to Asian cuisines, you name it, they have it. If you’re a salted egg yok fan, good news for you!
Today, we will be teaching you how to prepare the salted egg yolk prawn dish. Imagine devouring fresh prawn meat infused with salted egg yolk paste, yummy! Just follow the salted egg prawns recipe below!
- 350g medium-large prawn
- 6 pre-boiled salted egg yolk (smashed)
- 1 L Cooking Oil
- 5 sprigs curry leaves (rinsed and dried)
- 1 chicken egg white
- 6 tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 large red onion (minced)
- 2 pcs chilli padi (cut into small pieces)
- 18 g unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Prawn marinade
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- a dash of pepper
i. Prepare the prawns
- Trim the prawns but leave the head and tail intact. Rinse with salt water.
- Remove shell from body.
- Make a few slits on the prawn to straighten it.
- Wrap it in a towel, transfer it to the chiller for at least 20 mins.
- Remove from the chiller.
- Season with the prawn marinades and give it a good mix. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Deep fry the prawn
- Pour the egg white into the prawn and give it a good mix. Coat the prawn with corn starch. Set aside.
- Heat up 1L oil in a pot
- Deep fry 3 prawns at 1 time till the prawn turns pale pink. Remove from oil and set aside. Repeat the same process till all the prawns are fried.
- Once completed, allow the oil to heat up again. Add in all the fried prawns and deep fry it for the 2nd time for about 30 sec. Lift up and drain.
ii. Salted Egg Yolk Paste
- Melt the butter in a wok. Add in oil and mix well.
- Add in minced onions and fry till fragrant.
- Add in curry leaves and fry till fragrant.
- Add in smashed salted egg yolk and water, cook it till it’s creamy and bubbles are formed.
- Season with salt, sugar, pepper and chilli padi. Mix well and adjust to taste.
- Add in prawns and increase the temperature. Toss and coat it evenly with the salted egg yolk mixture. Enjoy!
There you have it, home cooked recipe for salted egg prawns that would make your loved ones asking for more! If you find this recipe useful, you can search for more recipes of different cuisines on foodpanda magazine.