Recipe: Salted Shredded Meat (Ruoc)
Vietnamese loves the sharp taste in their daily meals. This is why they came out with so many varieties of dishes that taste amazing, leaving one craving for more after a mere bite. Ruoc is a famous Vietnamese dish that is usually paired with porridge or congee, beef stew, beef noodles, and so on. There are different methods and varieties of Ruoc. Some use beef, and some use minced prawns, but as for today, we will be using chicken.
- A few pieces of chicken breast, you can take up to 3 pieces.
- 1/2 tablespoon of sugar to taste
- One finely minced white onions or shallots
- Three cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- A pinch of salt and white pepper
- 4 to 5 drops of fish sauce
Let’s Start Cooking
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the sugar, onions, garlic, salt, fish sauce and stir the mixture until the sugar is entirely dissolved.
- Slice the chicken breast into small pieces and mix in the sugar mixture.
- Coat the entire chicken breast with hands, then cover it up with a lid and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- After it is well marinated, transfer the chicken breasts into a large skillet or pan, cook and stir fry the chicken.
- Add in the remaining marinade and a cup of water. Cover the lid and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- When this is done, use tongs to flip the chicken breasts to the other side. Cook it through again for another 6 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and transfer it into a big clean bowl.
- Using a pestle and mortar, mash the chicken texture into shredded. You may use your hands to separate all the larger sizes and shred off the chicken meat.
- Heat your pan again and add in vegetable oil. Pour in the chicken mixture and stir fry it for a little.
- Continue this motion for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve while it is hot.
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.