The hearty sausage soup is made with Italian sausage, potatoes and most importantly, a flavourful broth for a filling and satisfying meal. The warm soup is best eaten during lunchtime or during a cold rainy day, with the dish providing a comforting warmth. The dish is also very versatile so different kinds of vegetables can be added or substituted to create the dish.
The dish is a part of American cuisine and requires at least 40 minutes to make the dish. It is also a simple dish to make that requires minimal skills. The Sausage soup is rich in nutrients as the dish contains meat and vegetables. The best time to make the dish is when you need to clean out the refrigerator of some old vegetables or ingredients. The dish can be served as a side dish with some simple salad and a loaf of bread. The sausage soup can be reheated again and it will not lose its delightful flavours.
Need something easy to try at home? Check out the recipe for the Sausage Soup down below!
Ingredients (6 servings):
- 18 ounces of Italian Sausages
- 3 Pieces of Celery
- 4 Cups of Chicken Broth
- 2 Pieces of Medium Carrots
- 1 Piece of Red Pepper
- ½ Medium Onion
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Cup of Water
- 2 Pieces of Russet Potatoes (Large)
- 1 Cup of Corn
- Salt and Pepper
- Start making the dish by removing the sausage meat out of the casings. Proceed to crumble the meat into smaller pieces. Add the crumbles of meat into a large soup pot above medium heat and leave it to cook for about 5 minutes. Ensure that the ingredients are stirred occasionally.
- Drain the fat and leave a bit of it for some flavourings. Proceed to chop the onions, celery, carrots and red pepper. Mince the cloves of garlic, followed by peeling and dicing the russet potatoes.
- Proceed to add the onion, celery and garlic into the boiling pot. Continue cooking it for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the chicken broth, carrots, potatoes, red pepper, water and corn into the pot. Turn up the dial to high and then allow the soup to boil. When it is boiling, bring down the heat and allow the water to simmer for about 20 minutes until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Lastly, season the dish with some salt and pepper, to taste.