If you’re bored with the usual breakfast you have every day, you should try breakfast like a Scandinavian. Scandinavian is the term for three regions which is Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Most of the Scandi is an early riser, and for them, breakfast is an important meal.
They do make time to prepare breakfast. Sit together and have breakfast is an excellent way to start your day. The Scandia breakfast is usually the combination of whole grain with protein (cheese, eggs, nuts, etc.) along with vegetables or fruits. Here is a recipe for making a Scandinavian breakfast:
Ingredients for curds:
- 50g unsalted butter
- 75g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolk
- 1 grapefruit
- ½ pink peppercorns (finely crushed)
- Firstly, prepare the curd. Beat the butter until it turns creamy. Slowly add sugar and mix it until light and fluffy.
- Use another bowl, and beat the egg and egg yolks together. Mix the beaten egg with the butter that we prepared as step one. Beat constantly.
- Zest the grapefruit, and squish to get the juice. Fold in the grapefruit juice, zest and peppercorns. (The mixture will come together in the pan)
- Pour the curd into a medium saucepan. Keep stirring over low heat until the dough thicken. Increase the heat until the mixture coat the spoon without dripping or to be exact reach 75 Celsius. Put in a jar and let it cool.
Ingredients for scone:
- 200ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g wholemeal flour
- 1 tbsp muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- ½ tsp soda bicarbonate.
- 50g butter (melted and cooled)
- Set the oven 180 Celsius. Whisk the buttermilk with vanilla essence and melted butter in a jug.
- Use a bowl and put together the baking powder, salt, soda bicarbonate flour and sugar. Make a space in the middle to add the buttermilk mixture. Mix into a sticky dough. (do not overmix)
- Put in muffin cases and bake for 20-25 minutes until rises and golden. Let the scone cool slightly and serve with the curd.
Now, you can enjoy your Scandinavian breakfast. With this easy step, you can cook yourself a zinger burger. Visit foodpanda to know more about various recipes.