Seaweed rice balls are a popular snack in Korean cuisine. It is loved by everyone from all walks of life. Although similar to the Japanese onigiri, jumokbap has its own uniqueness as well.
Jumokbap is usually seen in a round ball shape with seaweed and rice mixed together. It’s so integral with Korean culture that the jumokbap frequently appears on Korean dramas or movies. Generally, the seaweed rice ball is eaten with spicy dishes or meals as a complete meal. It can be eaten on its own as well since it is versatile and so delicious.
Jumokbap is extremely easy to make. You can even make the rice ball together with your family members and friends. Get some quality time and laughter with your loved ones as you make a delicious meal together!
- 2 cups of cooked rice (preferably Korean rice as it is stickier)
- 3 sheets of roasted seaweed
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of light soy sauce
- Sesame seeds to garnish (optional)
- First, place the roasted seaweed sheets on a big plate and start tearing them a few times.
- If you want it done faster and easier, you may put them in a food processor.
- Once the seaweed sheets are torn into small pieces, set them aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cooked rice and the seaweed pieces.
- Add in sesame oil and soy sauce and mix all of this mixture evenly. You may use a spatula, but using your hands makes it easier to get it all covered.
- Put on plastic glove on one hand, you may skip this if you do not have plastic gloves at home. Add a little bit oil on the palm region of your plastic so that the rice does not stick to it.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the rice in your palm and squeeze it lightly so it will stay sticky.
- Roll the rice into a round ball shape. You can decide on the size of the rice balls yourself.
- Repeat this until the rice is all used up.
- Coat the rice balls with sesame seeds.
- Serve it on a serving plate.
You may eat this with a few other side dishes or make this as an appetiser before your main course. If you want some delicious main course, order now from foodpanda!