Try Our Shakriya Lamb Recipe to Satisfy Your Cravings during Ramadhan
Ramadhan is just around the corner, folks! You’re probably wondering what to cook for your family during this festive season, right? Well, why not give our Shakriya Lamb recipe a try for this year’s Ramadhan? This unique Syrian dish will, without a doubt, make your tummy happy and satisfied!
Shakriya Lamb Recipe for Ramadhan:
- 6 lamb shanks, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 peeled and quartered onions
- 3l of hot water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 bay leaves
- A handful of cardamom seeds (about 6g)
- A generous pinch of cloves (around 3g)
- 2 teaspoon of white pepper
- 2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg
- 2kg of yoghurt
- 2 tablespoon of corn flour
- 175g of vermicelli
- 375g of rinsed short-grain rice
- 50g of pine nuts
- Cracked black pepper
- 12 radishes
- 5 spring onions
- Gather all the ingredients.
- First, boil the water in a large pot. Then, place the lamb shanks in the boiling water. Add in the bay leaves, onions, cinnamon sticks, cloves, cardamom, half the salt, and half the pepper into the water.
- When the water boils, reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let the mixture simmer for about 2 – 2 ½ hours until the lamb turns tender. Using a spoon, skim the fat which surfaces onto the top of the water, leaving a clear broth in the pot.
- Prepare the rice by adding vegetable oil and a small amount of butter to a pot. Next, put in the vermicelli. Fry the vermicelli until it turns golden brown.
- Once done, add in the rice and stir to combine. Fill the pot with some water and allow the rice to cook for about 20 minutes in low heat. Once the rice is cooked, keep it warm.
- In the meantime, take out another frying pan and heat it under medium heat. Put in a little oil and butter onto the frying pan, and fry the pine nuts until golden brown. When that is done, put them onto a plate lined with paper napkins.
- When the lamb is ready, remove the shanks out from the pot and keep warm.
- Strain the broth and set it aside.
- Next step, take out another large pot. In the pot, whisk the yoghurt with egg, cornflour, remaining salt, and pepper, as well as 250ml of the strained broth.
- Turn on the heat. Cook the yoghurt by stirring the mixture constantly over low heat until it comes to a simmer. Leave it to cook for another 2 minutes until it boils, then turn off the heat.
- Put the lamb shanks in a large and deep serving dish. Cover it with the hot yoghurt and top it up with pine nuts and cracked black pepper.
- You can serve the Shakriya with rice, radishes, and spring onions as sides.
There you have it, the recipe for Shakriya Lamb; perfect to be eaten during the Ramadhan season. If you find it a hussle to cook this dish, you can also discover more food choices through foodpanda.
If you need more recipes, check out the Thai Salad Platter!
Article Written By Marcovy
Marcovy is a passionate writer who thinks life is about living to eat and enjoying it to the fullest. He wanted to explore the restaurants around Malaysia and the idea of documenting those food experiences was what inspired him to start writing food blog.