Siew Bao is a Chinese baked bun filled with char siew. Most of the time, the filling for siew bao is diced pork (char siew) or chicken with green peas that are cooked in a brown colour sauce. Siew bao is very famous in Seremban, Negeri Sembilan. This is because it originated from that region in Malaysia.
The baked bun is usually flaky on the outside with a soft filling. A perfect combination for a great snack!
This dish can be a little difficult to prepare, but once it is done, you will be glad you took the chance.
(For the water dough)
- 240 g plain flour
- 60 g icing sugar
- 60 g cooking oil
- 90 g water
(For the oil dough)
- 250 g of plain flour
- 120 g of butter that is cut into cubes
- One egg beat for the egg wash
- White sesame seeds
(For the filling)
- 300 g of BBQ pork (Char Siew) – cut them into small dices
- Three shallots that are diced
- One tbsp of dark soy sauce
- One tsp of pepper
- ½ cup of water
- One tbsp of cooking oil
- One tsp of sesame oil
(For the sauce thickener)
- Two tsp of cornflour mixed with two tbsp of water
- Put the flour and butter into the food processor and pulse it to make a dough mixture. Then, wrap the dough with a cling wrap and set it aside for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 21 equal portions.
- Flatten the water dough and wrap oil dough in it. Shape it into a ball. Then, use a rolling pin to roll it out and make it into a rectangular shape. After that, roll it up like a Swiss roll. Repeat for the remaining dough.
- Flatten the rolled dough with your palm and by using a rolling pin, turn it into a round disc. Place the filling in the middle and crease the dough to seal the bun.
- Then, place them on a tray that has been lined with baking paper. Repeat for the rest of the dough.
- Brush the buns with egg wash and sprinkle some sesame seeds onto them as well.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 180°C for about 30 minutes.
- Heat about one tablespoon of oil and stir fry the shallots until fragrant. Add the BBQ pork and the rest of the ingredients, except the thickener. Fry it for about 2 – 3 minutes and add sesame oil.
- Pour in cornflour mixture, mix it thoroughly until the gravy has thickened.
- Once done, remove it and let it cool.