Recipe: Smoked Duck Breast
The rich smoky flavour of smoked duck breast is the perfect dish for family dinners. This dish is quite different from other duck recipes, such as the Roast Duck Salad. The gently smoked duck breasts bring out the natural flavours of the meat while providing a twist at the same time.
To get the meat to be tender and succulent during smoking can be quite tough. You need to make sure you smoke the duck meat long enough to cook them all the way through. However, if you cook the meat for too long, the meat will become tough and rubbery, and hard to eat.
When smoking duck breast, the most commonly used wood chips are apple, maple, and pecan wood chips. They are aromatically pleasing and go well with duck meat. Each wood chip can produce equally delicious smoked duck breast.
Duck breasts with its skin still attached are the best parts to use in this recipe. Duck skin has fats that can absorb the smoky flavour. If you use a skinned duck, it will be difficult to retain the smoky flavour, causing the meat to become tasteless.
If you like crispy skin, it is possible to crisp the duck skin. You just need to place the smoked duck with its skin side down on the pan for 2 minutes. This will produce a crispy skin with succulent meat that can rival those you find at fancy restaurants.
Slicing the smoked duck breast makes it great to eat as part of an appetiser. It can also go with a sandwich for a more fulfilling meal.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 2 boneless duck breasts
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Combine apple juice, salt, sugar, soy sauce, paprika, garlic powder, basil, and ground black pepper in a bowl. Mix them thoroughly until the salt and sugar dissolve.
- Place the duck on a plate and pour the mixture over the duck meat. Cover the duck meat with the mixture thoroughly.
- Wrap the plate with plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge for 4 hours.
- Remove the duck one hour before cooking. Make sure to pat the duck meat dry and leave it to dry in the open air.
- Smoke the duck at 250ºF for 2 hours or until the inner temperature of the meat reaches 150ºF.
- Let the duck meat rest for a few minutes, and then slice the duck meat into serving portions.
Are you looking for some smoke duck breasts or any other Chinese dish to help spice up your dinner? Why not order some from your local Chinese restaurants on the foodpanda app today! The foodpanda app offers a variety of cuisines and delivers straight to your doorstep.
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.