Smoked salmon is a delicacy enjoyed by many, if not most people. Usually, smoked salmon is usually prepared by cold-smoking. But today, we’ll be teaching you to hot-smoke your salmon. The main difference between cold- and hot-smoking is that hot-smoking gives your fish a slightly smokier flavour than cold-smoking does. Hot-smoking also produces tender, juicy meat with an aromatic smoky flavour to it. What’s not to love? Therefore, without further ado, here’s a great recipe on hot smoked salmon.
- 5 pounds salmon, trout or char
- Birch, honey or maple syrup for basting
- 1-quart cool water
- 1/3 cup Diamond Crystal kosher salt, about 2 ounces of any kosher salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Mix the brine ingredients together in a plastic or glass container and place the salmon inside. Cover the top and leave it in the refrigerator to cure. Curing your fish is important as this process helps removes moisture from the salmon while infusing it with salt.
- You will need to cure your salmon for at least 4 hours, depending on the type of salmon you’re using for this recipe.
- Once the salmon is cured, remove it from the brine and pat it dry. Leave it to cool under your ceiling fan for 2-4 hours or up to overnight in the fridge. Once cooled, the fish should have developed a shiny surface (also known as pellicle).
- Coat your fish with some oil to prevent it from sticking onto your smoker rack. Note that when smoking your salmon, it’s best to start with a small fire and gradually get higher.
- After an hour of smoking, baste the fish in birch, maple syrup or honey. Do this after every hour of smoking. This is to make sure your salmon stays moist enough while smoking.
- Once you’re done smoking your fish, leave the salmon to cool on the smoker rack for an hour before serving. Enjoy!
There you have it – a simple and easy recipe on smoked salmon. If you enjoyed this recipe, check out our other salmon recipes, including Grilled Salmon, Crispy Salmon Skin and Salmon Sashimi Salad, among many others. And, if you’re a big fan of eating smoked meat, we also have recipes on how to make Smoked Duck Breasts and Smoked Chicken Drumsticks!
But if you’re too lazy to cook, you can always just order from foodpanda app instead. The foodpanda app offers a large variety of Korean restaurants for you to order from. Plus, they deliver your meals straight to your doorstep!
So, what’re you waiting for? Order from foodpanda today!