Crispy and flavourful with every bite– that’s how you describe a good serving of soft shell crab salad.
The soft-shell crab has been a recent trend and is found in many Japanese or seafood restaurants. The crunchiness from the crab accompanied by fresh salad, it’s a dish made for any occasion.
The best part of this delicacy is that you can literally eat the whole thing and leave no shell behind. Most restaurants serve this dish as an appetiser to be shared with family or friends.
Preparing the soft-shell crab is a lot easier and convenient than you’d think. You may purchase frozen or live soft-shell crabs from your local wet market. However, as a recommendation, frozen soft-shell crabs are to be kept for only a day to maintain freshness.
Follow our quick and easy steps below to make your own serving of soft shell crab salad!
Ingredients (2 servings):
Soft Shell Crab:
- 2 soft shell crabs (depending on the servings)
- 1 egg
- Olive oil
- 1 ¼ soda water
- 1 ½ all-purpose flour
- White pepper
- Black pepper
- Romaine lettuce
- Cherry tomatoes
- To prepare the soft shell crabs, cut its face behind the eyes with a pair of kitchen scissors. Then, flip over the crab and remove the flap or “apron”. Lastly, lift the side of the crab shell to remove the gills. If this is your first time, please be extra gentle as the legs may break off easily.
- Next, gently clean the crabs with water and pat them dry with kitchen towels. Then, place them aside.
- To prepare the batter, whisk the flour with salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, gently beat the egg and soda water until it is combined.
- Pour the mixture over the flour and gently combine the mixture with a large fork. You want the mixture to have a thick and even consistency.
- Next, prepare the pan by heating the oil until it reaches about 176⁰C or perfect for frying.
- Dip the crabs into the mixture and carefully slip it into the hot oil.
- Fry for about 2 minutes or until it turns golden brown and crisp.
- Drain the crabs on a rack to remove the excess oil and let it cool.
- To prepare the salad, wash and chop the lettuce, cherry tomatoes and radish and season with olive oil, salt and black pepper.
- On a plate, serve the soft-shell crab on the salad. Enjoy!
A fan of crab meat? Check out our recipe for Crab Meat Soup (Soup Cha) or discover more food options and order other snacks or drinks to go with your meal using foodpanda! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.