For most people, meat is the most essential part of an animal, and the skin is thrown away. But for some, they prefer to utilise every part without wasting. Hence, various recipes maximise the potential of each and every part and organ of animals.
Crispy salmon skin is one of the great recipes and is both delicious and healthy. The crispy salmon skin goes well with any kind of dish, namely rice, noodle and even sushi. The crunchiness of the meal provides textural contrast and distinct flavour when eaten with other Japanese fares.
This recipe is quick and easy as it mostly involves frying salmon skin. If you love spicy food, you can add some Sichuan peppercorn powder to give a kick of spiciness.
Spicy crispy salmon skin is usually served with a bowl of hot rice with soy sauce at the side. Thus, it has the right balance of spicy and salty flavours. Besides, it is the perfect topping for noodles and sushi.
- Skin from one salmon
- 2 tbsp of salt
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp of sesame oil
- 1 tbsp of Sichuan peppercorn powder
- Slice the salmon skin into strips of 1 cm-thick from belly to back of the fish. Make sure to use a sharp knife to cut the skin.
- Place the salmon skin strips into a bowl. Add in salt and Sichuan peppercorn powder. Mix them well and put them aside for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, place the salmon skin strips on top of a paper towel. Pat the salmon skin strip dry carefully to remove excess water. This is to prevent the skin from becoming soggy after frying.
- Heat up vegetable oil with sesame oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. You may add more vegetable oil if necessary. Make sure the oil amount is enough to completely deep fry the salmon skin strips.
- Once the oil is hot, add the flavoured salmon skin into the pan and fry over medium heat. Make sure to stir them frequently to prevent them from sticking together. Initially, the skin will look rubbery, and it takes about 10-15 minutes for them to be crispy.
- Once the skin becomes crispy, place them on paper towels to remove excess oil. Serve with soy sauce and enjoy the meal.