Squid ink rice is what you would call a “unique dish”. The addition of squid ink in the rice adds an absolute umami and saline taste to the dish. You can typically find squid ink rice served in Spanish restaurants, topped with shrimps and a lemon wedge to give that extra tanginess. All in all, this dish makes for an impressive and festive presentation.
If you’re in the mood for some, here’s a full squid ink rice recipe for you to make from the comfort of your own home!
Ingredients (6 servings):
- 450g squid bodies (cleaned and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tomatoes (seeded and grated)
- 1 yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 6 cups fish stock
- 3 cups of paella rice
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ tsp squid ink
- 2 tbsp paprika
- Cooking oil
- Lemon (wedged)
- Heat some oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in the squid and cook for about 5 minutes, or until all the juices have evaporated. The texture of the squid should be firm.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the garlic, tomatoes, onion and cook for about 4 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- In a separate saucepan, turn up the heat to medium and pour in only 5 ¾ cups of fish stock in the pan (leaving aside ¼ cup of stock). Add the paprika and stir to dissolve.
- Stir the rice into the paella pan and season with generous amounts of salt.
- Slowly add the hot stock prepared in step 4 over the rice. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook the rice for about 10 minutes, or until the rice begins to swell.
- Mix the squid ink with the reserved ¼ cup of stock. Then, pour it over the rice in the paella pan.
- Stir once and reduce the heat to low. Cook for another 10 minutes, or until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and cover with a dishtowel. Let it cool for 20 minutes. Serve straight from the pan with some lemon wedges. Enjoy!
Squid Ink Rice Recipe
There you have it – a delicious recipe of squid ink rice! If you find this recipe useful, don’t forget to subscribe to foodpanda magazine for more delicious recipes.
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using foodpanda! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.