Steak is a dish enjoyed by many. However, Steak Tartare requires an acquired taste as not everyone likes their meat raw. Those who have developed a taste bud for Beef Tartare know what it takes to make a good Steak Tartare that just melts in your mouth.
The concept might look simple, raw beef, how hard can it be? But preparing a Steak Tartare requires a lot of skills. Making sure the raw beef melts in your mouth with an explosion of flavour requires a lot of preparation work. But if you do it right, you will get to experience fine-dining straight from your kitchen.
- 100g minced beef or parts of beef that are minced (choose beef that is freshly cut on the same day)
- 2 round egg yolks
- 4g of finely chopped shallots
- 4g of capers
- 20g of Mustard
- Lemon juice, half a lemon or as needed
- 3g of chives for garnish
- 4 drops of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bread slices as a side dish for the Tartare, preferably baguette.
- Firstly, mince the beef and place it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. You want to ensure that the beef stays chill but does not freeze. If you prefer a thicker cut to your meat, buy a part of beef and finely chop them to your desired size.
- While the beef is chilling, mix capers, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper in a separate bowl. You can opt to mix the ingredients in the bowl with the egg yolks, or you can use the egg yolks separately as you are preparing your dish.
- Separately, prepare your baguette. Cut the baguette in thin slices and bake them in the oven with a temperature of 150̊c for about 15 minutes or until crispy.
- When you are ready to serve, combine the chilled beef with the mustard mix, add in lemon juice as you seem fit, shape your Tartare into the desired shape and place it on a plate with the crispy baguette. Serve immediately.
- If you did not combine egg yolk in the mustard mix earlier, place a dent in your Steak Tartare and place the egg yolk on top of the Tartare before serving.
- Note that Steak Tartare must be consumed immediately and it is best enjoyed with a glass of wine.