A Thai delight that promises immense flavour on every bite. Steamed Squid with Lime and Garlic Sauce, also known as Pla Muk Neung Manao, is a steamed dish of squid drenched with a special sauce made from garlic, chillies, cilantro, sugar and most importantly, lime juice. This sauce comprises the sensation of sour, sweet and spicy, which is the main elements of a Thai dish.
It has a strong bite of fresh garlic, but its flavour is balanced out nicely in a delicious Thai combination of spicy red chillies, sour lime juice, sweet coconut sugar, and salty fish sauce. This recipe is definitely a “must-have” in your recipe book under the Thai food section. This special sauce also generally goes really well with many other types of seafood such as fish and prawn.
Ingredients (2 to 3 servings):
- 600 g or 2 pieces of fresh squid
- 7 cloves of garlic
- 1 or more bird-eye chillies, depending on your tolerance to spiciness
- 3 limes
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 shallots
- 1/4 cup celery leaves
- 4 fresh coriander roots
- Clean the cuttlefish, remove its innards and sac, and peel away its skin. Then, proceed to cut it into ring forms.
- Place the processed squid on a shallow plate for steaming.
- Prepare a steaming wok and boil the water over high heat.
- Place the plate into the wok when the water is boiling. Steam for around 3 to 5 minutes until the squid looks opaque, or turns tender.
- While the squid is steaming, start chopping the garlic, chillies and shallots into fine pieces. Grate 1 lime zest and squeeze the lime juice from all 3 limes.
- Mix these ingredients together with the celery leaves, fish sauce and sugar. There should be a good balance between salty, sweet, spicy and sour. Adjust the taste by adding those stated ingredients if necessary. It is also important to make sure the sugar has completely resolved.
- Then, wash the fresh coriander, remove its roots and chop them into fine pieces.
- Once the squid is cooked, transfer it onto a serving plate and pour the sauce over it and garnish with the chopped coriander. Serve immediately with hot steamed rice. Enjoy!
Love squid as much as we do? Try our recipe for BBQ Squid!
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using the foodpanda app! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.