Recipe: Sundubu Jjigae
Out of so many stew dishes and hot pots in Korean cuisine, Sundubu Jjigae is my favourite! Sundubu Jjigae, also known as Korean spicy soft tofu stew, is a very tasty and delicious stew. During cold weather, you can eat this to warm up your body.
Sundobu Jjigae consists primarily of soft tofu. Usually, pork slices or seafood are mixed into this stew dish as well. Sometimes, you may eat it with only the pork slices inside. Anyhow, this stew dish is refreshing, delicious and comforting at the same time. Best of all, you can cook this at home!
For the main ingredients, you will need these:
- Korean soft tofu (sundubu), cut into cubes
- Littleneck clams, cleaned and scrubbed
- 3 to 5 prawns, depending on your preference
- 1 packet of Enoki mushrooms, base stems removed and cleaned
- 1 packet of oyster mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 packet of shiitake mushrooms, rinsed and soaked
- 1 egg
- 1 stalk of spring onions, thinly sliced
As for the soup base, you will need:
- Anchovy stock or dried kelp stock (you may find this in a Korean grocery store)
- Cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon of Korean chilli flakes
- Chilli powder
- Minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- First, you will need to clean your clams thoroughly and make sure there are no sands in them.
- Next, remove the shells of the prawns and devein them.
- In a pot, put in some cooking oil, chilli powder, minced garlic and soy sauce. Stir-fry these for about a minute or two, make sure not to burn the chilli.
- Add in the stock and boil it on medium heat. Boil this for roughly 3 minutes, add in some salt and keep stirring.
- Once it is boiled, add in tofu cubes, mushrooms, egg and cook them for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the spring onions, black pepper and sesame oil.
- Boil all of these for about 2 minutes over low heat.
- Turn off the heat and serve.
You may serve this with Korean rice and few other side dishes such as Kimchi, green beans, spinach, fried eggs and more. Before cooking this, make sure that your pot is big enough to accommodate all of the ingredients. If you do not have such pot, you may cook this in a pot and transfer them to a ceramic bowl or clay bowl. Enjoy and have fun cooking!
Want more food and you’re busy cooking? Order now from foodpanda and get it delivered to you.
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.