This recipe for sweet and sour chicken a beloved and classic Chinese dish to have on your table for lunch or dinner. It is typically served with a hot bowl of steamed rice along with an array of other dishes to share with your friends or family! Sweet and sour chicken comprises of fried chicken cooked in a lightly sweet and sauce along with some vegetables to add flavour and texture.
If you’re planning to have dinner with your family or friends, why not surprise them with a beautiful and vibrant dish of sweet and sour chicken by following the recipe below! It should take you no more than 30 minutes to prepare with ingredients you can easily find from your local grocer or supermarkets.
- 450g chicken breast
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 small tomato (cut into wedges)
- 1 green bell pepper (seeded and cut into squares)
- 1 stalk of green onion (cut into 2-inch lengths)
- Vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp corn starch
- ½ cup of water
- ½ tsp baking powder
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp plum sauce
- ½ tsp corn starch
- ½ tsp oyster sauce
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ Chinese rice vinegar
- White pepper, to taste
- Start by cutting the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the batter ingredients. Add the chicken cubes into the batter and coat each chicken cube.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a wok or pan over medium-high heat. Shake off the excess batter and fry the chicken cubes for about 5 – 7 minutes, or until each chicken piece is cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken cubes onto a plate with paper towels to soak up the excess oil.
- In the same wok or pan, sauté the garlic for about 1 minute and add in the green bell peppers. Cook until fragrant.
- Add in the sweet and sour sauce into the wok and bring to a simmer. Then, toss in the chicken, tomatoes, green onion and stir until all the ingredients are coated with the sauce.
- Transfer the dish to a plate and serve with a bowl of steamed rice. Enjoy!
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using foodpanda! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.