You can find sweet and sour pork in Asian countries as the sweet, tangy sauce is often used in various Chinese dishes (see: Sweet and Sour Fish). This dish is one of the most classic Cantonese dishes you can find.
It is often mixed and fried with vegetables such as bell pepper, scallion, fresh or canned pineapple, cucumber and many more to increase its flavour and give the dish its iconic sweet and sour taste.
You can find this dish in countries such as Hong Kong, China, Singapore, Malaysia and many more. Besides that, as it is a famous Chinese cuisine, it can also be found in many Chinese restaurants in Western countries!
Ingredients (2-3 servings):
- ½ lb. Of pork tenderloin (200g), cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ of green bell pepper, about 2 oz. and cut into pieces
- ½ of red bell pepper, about 2 oz. and cut into pieces
- 2 stalks of scallions with only the white part cut into 2-inch length
- 1 piece of the fresh or canned pineapple ring, cut into small pieces
- 1 clove of finely chopped garlic
- ¼ cup of white caster sugar (50 mL)
- ¼ cup of rice vinegar (50 mL)
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of cornflour (100g)
- 2 ½ cups of cooking oil for frying (500mL)
- Combine 1 teaspoon of salt, cornflour and an egg with the bite-size pieces of pork in a bowl and marinate them in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Place the cornflour in a bowl and coat the marinated pork chunks thoroughly.
- Heat the oil to 180 °C in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Deep fry the pork pieces for about 3-4 minutes until you have cooked the pork throughout, and the coating is golden brown.
- Drain off the oil on the surface of fried pork pieces with paper towels.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok over medium heat. Sauté the garlic until fragrant. Stir fry the green bell peppers and red bell peppers in the pan until they have become soft.
- Add pineapple into the wok and warm thoroughly.
- Add sugar, vinegar and ketchup and stir them until the sauce boils.
- Bring everything in a boil, add in cooked pork and coat everything evenly with the sauce.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top to increase the flavour of the dish.
- Serve it hot for better taste!
Are you looking for some sweet and sour pork or any other Chinese dish to help spice up your dinner? Why not order some from your local Chinese restaurants on the foodpanda app today! The foodpanda app offers a variety of cuisines and delivers straight to your doorstep.