Chicken is one of the most famous foods in India, usually cooked in the tandoor, the ubiquitous clay oven. One of the secrets to the bird’s distinctive taste and tender texture is a yoghurt marinade rich with spices.
Here they pour marinade ingredients over chicken breasts, which they are cooked on a grill. Then the chicken is served on toasted bread spread with mayonnaise spiked with mint, cilantro, and chilli, flavours which are commonly used in Indian relishes.
The tandoori chicken sandwich is a wonderful appetiser in which grilled tandoori chicken, mango chutney, lettuce, and mayonnaise are filled between Kaiser Rolls.And we are sure the fantastic tandoori chicken sandwich (Indian) – version of this dish will spark your taste buds.
Ingredients (6 servings):
- 6 skinless and boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 12 slices sourdough bread
- 1 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 jalapeño chilli, seeded, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Boneless chicken breasts need to be arranged by a single layer in a glass baking dish (preferably large). Then, sprinkle with fresh lemon juice and season with salt. In a medium bowl, mix plain yoghurt, sliced fresh ginger, chopped garlic, ground cumin, crushed coriander, cayenne pepper, and turmeric. The pour yoghurt marinade over chicken breasts and turn to coat. Cover the chicken and refrigerate for 3 to 8 hours.
- Prepare grill (medium-high heat) or broiler for preheating. Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade (do not wash them smooth). Grill or broil the chicken until cook for 5 minutes each side. Cool mildly. (Chicken can be delivered up to 2 hours in advance. Cover and let it rest at room temperature).
- Lightly toast (or grill) sourdough bread. Spread pieces of bread with Indian Spiced Mayonnaise generously. Slice the breasts of the chicken diagonally. Place one breast slices on top of each of six pieces of sourdough bread. Top with the surviving fragments of bread. Cut the sandwiches of chicken in half. Serve it warm (or room temperature).
- Combine one cup of mint leaves, 1 cup cilantro leaves, minced jalapeño chilli and chopped onion in work bowl of the processor. Process until it turns into pieces.
- Pour cider vinegar. Mix. Add mayonnaise and let it be processed until it is fully mixed. Season mayonnaise with salt and pepper for flavour. (Mayonnaise can be ready three days ahead of time. Cover tightly and refrigerate.) Make about one scant cup.