At one glance, you might mistake a tartiflette for a lasagna. But unlike the latter, this classic French dish is mainly made up of potatoes and other ingredients often used in French cuisine. If you’re looking for some variety for dinner with your loved ones, why not try your hand on this French Tartiflette instead?
- 1 kg of potatoes, peeled
- 250 g of bacon or beef bacon (for a halal option)
- Two bulbs of shallots, finely chopped
- One garlic clove, minced
- 200 ml of double cream or crème Fraiche
- 100 ml of white wine (use grape juice and vinegar for halal option)
- 450 g of Reblochon cheese, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Meanwhile, prepare the potatoes by boiling them in salt water for about 5 to 10 minutes until it is soft. Careful not to overcook the potatoes as it will cause the entire dish to be soggy.
- Toss the potatoes and set them aside to cool.
- Under medium heat, heat olive oil in a frying and start frying the bacon (or beef), shallots and minced garlic for about 4-5 minutes until the bacon is crispy with a golden brown colour. The entire mixture should be fragrant too. Deglaze the pan with white wine or vinegar and continue to cook until about 2/3 of the liquid has evaporated.
- Slice the potatoes thinly, with about 1-inch thickness and start layering them in a gratin dish. Spread the bacon mixture between the potato layers. Once you are done layering, add the double cream or crème Fraiche on top and spread evenly. Sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste and add the Reblochon Cheese on top to cover the entire dish.
- Bake the dish in the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes until the meal starts to bubble, and the bottom layer turns golden brown.
- Remove it out of the oven and let it rest for about 1-2 minutes.
- To serve, cut the Tartiflette into serving portions on individual dishes and eat it while it is hot. Pair it with a lightly tossed rocket leaves and capsicum salad dashed with lemon juice. The recipe is best paired with a good glass of crisp white wine.
Pro-tip: For extra flavour, add some pickles or gherkins into the mixture along with the crispy bacon. You can also add butter in between the potato layers for added saltiness and creaminess.