Asian salads are a food genre of their own because you never feel like you’re just eating a bowl of leaves. There’s always a distinct freshness and a mandatory spiciness associated with salads from all around Asia. Here’s a recipe for a hearty Thai beef salad that will not leave you hungry for later.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 680g beef rump steak
- 200g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthways, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 red onion, halved, cut into thin wedges
- 2 long fresh red chillies, halved, deseeded, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 bunch fresh mint, leaves picked, large leaves torn
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, leaves picked
- 1 bunch fresh Thai basil, leaves picked, large leaves torn
- 55g toasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, centre veins removed, finely shredded
- Mix lime juice, garlic, fish sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger and palm sugar in a bowl.
- Marinate the steak with half of the dressing in a sealed bag and keep in the fridge for two hours. Turn the beef occasionally for more developed flavours.
- Preheat a cast-iron pan on high. Cook steak for 2-3 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil and set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
- In a large bowl, add all prepared vegetables (tomatoes, cucumber, onion, chilli, mint, coriander, basil, and lime leaves) thinly slice steak across the grain and add to the salad. Sprinkle with toasted peanuts and remaining dressing.
- Gently toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Remember that you’re free to prepare the beef in any way that you would prefer. Just make sure to eat the salad right after making it because it quickly becomes soggy once salt is introduced to the fresh greens. For more salad recipes, check out our Chicken Avocado Salad or Vermicelli Salad.
If you’re too lazy to step into the kitchen, we’ve got a solution for you! Head on over to the foodpanda app for a wide selection of Asian salads to be delivered to your doorstep.