This recipe is a classic one originated from Thailand. These red curry-flavoured fish cakes are prepared within 20 minutes despite the making of fish cakes being a little hassle. Please be reminded to get the softer fish to get softer fish cakes.
This dish is also known as Tod Mun Pla in Thai and they are fantastic at making this dish. Especially their signature chilli sauce is to die for! Having said these, waste no more time to prepare this delicious dish for a big family gathering or just to snack on a weekend. Follow this recipe for Thai Fish Cakes:
- 350g tender fish meat, dried thoroughly if thawed from frozen
- 2-3 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ cup long beans
- 1/3 cup Thai basil
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, finely julienned
- Fish sauce
- Sweet chilli dipping sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 spur big red chilli pepper
- Thai chilli, to taste
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 3 tbsp water
- Cucumber slices for serving
- Optional add-ins, roasted crushed peanuts, sliced shallots
i. Dipping sauce:
- Blend both chillies, garlic, vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a blender. Blend them until there are no chunks.
- Then, pour the blended chillies into a small pot and place under low heat. Bring it to simmer and then simmer further for about 3-5 minutes or until it has a thin syrup consistency. Set aside.
ii. Fish cakes:
- Combine the fish, curry paste, egg yolk and sugar in a food processor and process them until they become fine. Then, process further until the fish becomes firm enough to hold into shapes when spooned.
- Then, transfer the fish paste into a mixing bowl and add some chopped long beans, Thai basil and kaffir lime leaves. Stir them until they combine well.
- Prepare a bowl of cold water and some paper towel by the stove. Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat until hot and then add enough oil to coat the bottom of the skillet.
- Later, wet your hands and a tablespoon in the cold water. Then, scoop a heaping tablespoon of fish paste with the wet spoon and place in your hands.
- Gently, pat the fish cakes and form into patties and place in the preheated skillet.
- Fry until both sides turn brown for about 2 minutes per side. Add more as you go.
- Serve with the stirred cucumber slices, peanuts and shallots in the dipping sauce.
And there you have it! The simple yet easy recipe for Thai Fish Cakes. You can pimp this dish with white rice and some spicy curry too. It would contribute to a hearty meal.
On a side note, if you happen to rush and prefer getting food delivered to you right at your doorstep, then you need not go any further from the foodpanda app to order your favourite food. You will receive your order right at your home in no time! Don’t forget to subscribe to foodpanda Magazine as well!