Spring Rolls are probably Asia’s favourite snacks. You can have spring rolls as an appetiser at a fine dining restaurant, as finger food at a house party or even as late-night snacks while you are binge-watching Netflix.
A good spring roll is filled with fresh vegetables and served with sweet sauce – which is exactly what the Thai Fried Vegetable Spring Roll has to offer. With this easy-to-follow recipe, you will never have to buy the frozen spring rolls from the supermarket ever again.
- 1 pack of spring roll wrappers
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 green onions, finely diced
- 1 red chilli, diced
- 1-inch ginger piece
- ½ cup of thinly sliced carrots
- ½ cup of thinly sliced cabbage
- ¾ cup of bean sprouts
- A small packet of glass noodles (soak in hot water for 10 minutes)
- ½ cup of coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- To make the filling, heat the pan and add in garlic, ginger, green onion and chilli. Sauté until fragrant for about 1 minute. Add in a tablespoon of water if the mixture is too dry.
- Add in the carrot and cabbage. Stir until it has thawed while adding in the soy sauce and fish sauce and sugar into the mixture. Once the carrot and cabbage have softened, add in the bean sprouts and remove from the heat.
- Add in salt, lime juice and fish sauce to taste to the mixture once it is removed from the heat.
- To assemble the spring rolls, place a generous amount of filling on each spring role wrapper. Finish it off with glass noodles and a generous amount of coriander.
- Fold the top and bottom end of the wrapper inwards to prevent the filling from spilling. Roll the Spring rolls tightly and secure the sides with drops of water.
- Once all the wrappers are filled and rolled securely, heat a generous amount of vegetable oil into a hot wok and deep fry the spring rolls over medium heat for about 1 minute on each side or until it is golden brown. Be careful not to overcrowd the wok to ensure even cooking of the spring rolls.
- Drain the oils using kitchen towel and let it rest for about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve the spring rolls immediately with sweet Thai chilli sauce for dipping.