Thai flavours are definitely one of a kind and when you combine it with good ingredients like pork, there is no denying how good it is. The Thai Grilled Pork specifically is a humble serve of pork meat on skewers that have been marinated in classic Thai flavours like coconut milk and fish sauce. Although it sounds simple to make, it requires finesse to balance out the flavours while respecting the pork itself.
If you do it right though, you will satisfy your taste buds and the taste buds of everyone you are serving it to.
Ingredients (for 10 Skewers):
- 1 pound pork loin or tenderloin, slice into thin strips at an angle
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- A handful of cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ cup of coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon fine sugar
- 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 4 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons of ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 10 skewer sticks
- Combine garlic, cilantro, fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, coconut cream, fine sugar, white pepper and vegetable in oil and mix well. Coat the thinly sliced pork loin/tenderloin strips into the bowl and leave it to marinate. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave it in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- While your meat is marinating, prepare the grill and let it set on medium heat.
- When you are ready to cook, pin the pork strips onto individual skewers. Make sure that the meat holds on to the marinade as much as possible. Put the skewers on the grill and continuously turn them to ensure even cooking. The skewers should take about 5 to 8 minutes to cook. While the meat is on the grill, brush some of the remaining marinades in the bowl on the meat.
- Serve the skewers immediately as it is or with a side of fresh cucumbers, onions or the Thai Papaya Salad.
Tips: To get the best flavours in, it is advised to leave the meat to marinate overnight. Make sure you wrap the bowl well and the fridge is in the right temperature to avoid freeze burns.For the best grilled effect, use a charcoal grill to let the flavours stand out even more.You can have the skewers on its own or you can pair it as an accompaniment for rice and the Thai papaya salad.